Sunday, November 15, 2009

Couvade syndrome






Of the 4 pictures above Renee floating on a raft is pretty self explanatory. However the other ones are something that fall under the couvade category.

Wikipedia defines couvade syndrome as - is a psychosomatic condition in which an individual close to an expectant mother, commonly her partner, experiences some of the same symptoms and behavior as the mother near the time of labor.

Guilty as charged.

When we first found out that we were pregnant, I was actually the reason for us going to the hospital. There was a brief stretch where I would walk out of my office and lie down and had begun to nap because I was feeling nauseous and tired. I kept telling her that something was wrong and strangely she was feeling the same. We deduced that it was a bad watermelon that was used for Gazpacho and we had mild food poisoning. While we were around San Jose I told Renee that I should have my stomach checked because something was feeling weird down there. As we were making our appointment Renee was making the Spanish jokes about me being pregnant. Someone was pregnant, it just wasn't me.

Thank god that I did not have one of those pot bellies that men get. My couvade was limited to slight morning sickness and heartburn. But it did allow me to run around the house and sing My my my my couvaddddddddaa. Like my sharona.

The funniest of the photos above is the ultrasound pictures above. The funny thing is that they are mine. Renee had gone back to the states last May I was here and still could not figure out what the stomach issue was. The doctor suggested that they check the abdomen. And 20 bucks for who can guess what that means. Well, its a guy getting an ultrasound (yes weird goo on the belly an all). I had my ultrasound about 2 months after Renee had her first. I can say that I was almost peeing in my pants with laughter when I found out they wanted to do one on me. I also wanted to pee in my pants because the doctors need to measure the bladder full and empty and then proceed to mash on your stomach.

When Renee returned home she saw the ultrasound pics on her desk and assumed that they were hers. However after closer examination I had to come clean about what had happened and realized that my couvade had reached an all time high.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers